Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Grub are there!

After being used to mom-cooked delicious food at home for over 15 years and mess food at IITM which though of dubious taste and origin is at least served regularly, grad student life hits you hard initially when one has to cook for oneself. With the measly pay, you can't expect us to buy food everyday!

So, it is with considerable eagerness that I look forward to the Friday after seminar coffee and cookies and the occasional grad-prof tea-coffee. In fact free food draws grad students like the opposite ends of a magnet. In fact, after a few days one attains a level of proficiency such that there isn't even a need to scourge noticeboards for the next free coffee hour. Assisted by your nostrils, you just home in to the correct room.

A few weeks ago, as I was walking back from the administrative building, my nostrils caught a faint whiff of warm bagels and muffins in the vicinity. Within seconds, I was able to locate the target inside our fitness center and proceeded thence without delay. There were a few people around looking at pictures and posters displayed around a center table. I smiled my way to the table without paying much attention to what was going on around. Just as I was about to take a plate, someone said "Hi!"

I won't go into the details of what happened next; suffice it to say that it was a health workshop for homosexuals. As I looked around, the posters and pictures started making sense and I optimized my way to the shortest exit with a fake smile pasted on my face.

The only thing I regret is that I forgot the plate of muffins and bagels that I had so assiduously assembled.

1 comment:

Phoenix said...

Awwww... :P