Tuesday, December 16, 2008

cricket

2003 world cup was the last time I enjoyed cricket. Back then I was as devout a fan as any other Indian. My 12th board exams were on, but I wouldn't have missed a match for the world!

But it was back then, long long ago. Somehow all my enthusiasm for the sport has just fizzled out during my college years. Match fixing, the long hours for a single match; I myself don't know what exactly was the catalyst, but the sport doesn't interest me anymore.

This is precisely why I was amused when I had a lump in my throat on hearing about Kumble's retirement. I have my heroes, and they were never dictated by the player's performance, records, style, or any other logical parameter. Dravid, Kumble, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Agarkar and Srinath are the only players I adore and it took just one match in each case to develop a liking for each of them. Jadeja too was once part of this list.

I rejoiced at their successes and my subconcious mind always found a plausible and forgivable reason for their failure. The 300+ partnership between Ganguly and Dravid is still one of my most enjoyable moments related to cricket. I had watched that match with "all" my cousins during my uncle's marriage.

Cricket was the perfect bond for most students back at school and many a lunch break was spent discussing a previous day match. Though soccer was my forte, I preferred playing cricket simply because most of my friends did.

With just two of them remaining it may not be long before I completely forget such a game existed.

1 comment:

Phoenix said...

Well, in that case, I hope it lasts as long as possible.