Sunday, August 17, 2008

Beauty in Rourkela

Having spent the first 17 years of my life at this small town followed by 4 years in Chennai interspersed with a few months of Bangalore in between, I can now say with conviction that I love to be in Rourkela more than anywhere else. What appeals most to me is its simplicity.

There are few people, just one main road encircling the town, two prominent markets, good schools, one NIT, and one big hospital. Ideal for an idyllic life.

You never worry which road to take to avoid traffic.

Don't have to worry about where the season sales offers include 2 free with every 3 purchases, and whether 33.33% discount is better than that. Just two markets, so you go to whichever is closer to you.

You don't have to spend an entire day to keep up with your 9 to 5 job! My school used to start at 10. Starting from home at 9:50 used to give me two minutes leeway which i spent fruitfully playing hand-cricket before the assembly began.



Apart from its simplicity, I adore the beauty of this small town. The ring road especially looks charming with its tree lined wide roads.

Lack of good quality restaurants are made up the myriad fast food joints. My favourites are the tangy papri-chat at NAC market and the ghoogni-chat at Gundicha Mandir. Also worth mentioning are the dosas here which are way better than anywhere else, and that includes Bangalore and Chennai.

No comments: